My OPT just expired from my F-1 Visa. I'm Canadian, I have a pending 1-485 form and am applying for 1-765; what's my status.

Asked 11 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

My F-1 Visa has no expiration date, it simply says D/S. I'm applying for permanent resident status as I'm married to an American citizen and am applying for work authorization and in question 15 they ask for my "Current Immigration Status". Since my OPT just expired (literally 3 days ago) what is my status? Do I retain F-1 status for a short period of time?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Expired F1. Your AOS renders your stay authorized by the AG for the duration of the ASO adjudication but it DOES NOT give you any nonimmigrant or immigrant status.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Olesia Gorinshteyn

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may still enjoy 60-day grace period upon expiration of your OPT.

  3. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Segal.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Put in: F-1/OPT (expired EAD)

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  5. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For the 60 days following the expiration of your OPT, F-1.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,232 answers this week

2,770 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary