My only income is $840.00 per month social security. I live with my son as I coudn't pay the mortgage on a house I own.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Wenatchee, WA

I'm 82 and the harrassment is really getting to me from creditors as I have credit card debt plus other debts. . I have to file for bankruptcy. I've always had too much pride and I don't want anyone to know about it. In Wenatchee as I am too well known. All bankruptsies are published in The Wenatchee Business Journal. . If I have an attorney in Spokane, 175 miles away, will it still go into the Wenatchee Business Journal?

1. Robert A. Stumpf

5

Answered . If the harassment from debt collectors is getting too much to bear, but you are "judgment proof", why file bankruptcy at all? If you only have social security income to protect, it's likely that filing doesn't make much sense. There are other ways to stop collectors from bothering you. This way, you won't have to impact your pride by filing bankrutpcy.

2. Charles Raymond Steinberg

2

Answered . For whatever reason, the wenatchee world and the two business journals find it newsworthy to publish. The bankruptcy courts for our county area are physically located in Spokane and Yakima, so a resident of our counties would be not be filing in a Wenatchee court anyway. If you have resided at or owned property on the west side eg, a 206er, etc, for more than 91 days, you have a chance of filing on the West side.

Under the federal fair debt collection practices act, amd the washington state debt collections act they may be violating the law.

3. Peter Walter Weston

Pro

3

Answered . If the local journal publishes bankruptcies, it may also publish lawsuits and judgments, which is a possible result of having too many creditors.

The benefit of peace of mind from creditor harassment needs to be balanced against your desire for privacy.

As my colleague has stated, if your only asset is social security, you are essentially judgment proof, and need not use bankruptcy, but if judgments are news in the journal, you should pick your poison.

My clients in this situation seem to benefit more from having telephone privileges restored and peace of mind from collections, than continuing stress.

4. Stephen M Trezza

Pro

1

Answered . Yes because he will file it in your county because that is where you live.

5. Kevin V.K. Crick

Pro

Answered . Many times you might be surprised that some of the communications these collectors are making to you are illegal. Feel free to send me a message, I would be happy to talk to you to see if there is more information I could provide to help.

I am not sure the amount of your debt, but you have displayed a desire to keep things discreet. A lot of the time, if a letter is sent to these debt collectors to inform them of their illegal activity and the possibility that you might sue them for it, they stop their illegal activity, pay you a settlement amount (up to $1000.00 for their illegal activity, and in other circumstances $500 per call if called by an auto-dialer after you told them to stop calling you), and many times waive your total debt and request deletion of the trade lines, all dealt with in a confidential manner. Again feel free to contact me, and I hope this helps.