My older brother molested me and forced me to do things to him when I was 8 years old, I am now 21 can I have him arrested?

Raleigh, NC |

I did not originally want to press charges but recently we both had to move back home and I can not stand how perverted he is and it has brought up a lot of repressed feelings. I confronted him of how I was feeling and what had happened and he laughed in my face saying that none of that ever happened. He is trying to become a police officer and if he does, I'm not sure what I will do with myself. It happened when I was 8 till I was 9 years old and he was 12 to 13 years old. It happened in New Jersey, but we both now live in North Carolina. If I can't have him arrested because I don't have proof since it happened so long ago is there anything I can do to at least prevent a him from becoming a police officer.

1. This would be governed by New Jersey law, so you should ask the question there. The laws differ by state. In North Carolina, there is no statute of limitations for felonies, but I'm not sure how that applies to juveniles (which is what he was when he was 12/13).

<a href="http://www.chetson.com">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the rest of Wake County, North Carolina. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the specific facts may change the potential advice. Consult with a licensed <a href="http://www.chetson.net">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> or attorney in your jurisdiction about your legal question or problem. For a free consultation about a North Carolina case, call (919) 352-9411 day or night, any day of the week.

2. You should contact the prosecutor for the county you lived in when this happened. Each state has a different stautte of limitations for crimes, but they generally do start untl the victim is 18. You might want to contact an attorney in New Jersey to find out exactly what you can do. I suspect that there is nothing ot be done at this late date.