My older brother molested me and forced me to do things to him when I was 8 years old, I am now 21 can I have him arrested?

I did not originally want to press charges but recently we both had to move back home and I can not stand how perverted he is and it has brought up a lot of repressed feelings. I confronted him of how I was feeling and what had happened and he laughed in my face saying that none of that ever happened. He is trying to become a police officer and if he does, I'm not sure what I will do with myself. It happened when I was 8 till I was 9 years old and he was 12 to 13 years old. It happened in New Jersey, but we both now live in North Carolina. If I can't have him arrested because I don't have proof since it happened so long ago is there anything I can do to at least prevent a him from becoming a police officer.

Raleigh, NC -

Attorney Answers (2)

Damon John Chetson

Damon John Chetson

Criminal Defense Attorney - Raleigh, NC

This would be governed by New Jersey law, so you should ask the question there. The laws differ by state. In North Carolina, there is no statute of limitations for felonies, but I'm not sure how that applies to juveniles (which is what he was when he was 12/13).

Raleigh criminal lawyer Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary,... more
Edward M. Rothschild

Edward M. Rothschild

Criminal Defense Attorney - Vernon Hills, IL

You should contact the prosecutor for the county you lived in when this happened. Each state has a different stautte of limitations for crimes, but they generally do start untl the victim is 18. You might want to contact an attorney in New Jersey to find out exactly what you can do. I suspect that there is nothing ot be done at this late date.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.