My old job is trying to settle without me getting a lawyer. I need to know a reasonable amount . I lost my Insurance.

Asked about 2 years ago - Tempe, AZ

was employed for 6 months and wrongfully let go due to a broken ankle. Paying cash for all medical and therapy. Medications and living expenses are being paid with the money I have saved up for a down payment on a car.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven Roger Rensch


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You need a consultation with an employment attorney. There are many questions that have not been answered by your short description. You may have claims against your employer which you do not want to waive until a lawyer has advised you. You do not want to sign anything until you've seen a lawyer.

  2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

    No one can tell you what a reasonable amount is for a settlement without knowing details of the case. Any response to this situation will turn on specific facts. The Avvo board is not set up to handle the kind of detailed analysis needed to offer helpful guidance. Avvo works best for short, specific questions that allow for short, specific answers. Perhaps more importantly, anyone can read the discussions on Avvo so they are not confidential. The employer or whomever is involved in the dispute can read everything written here.

    Employment law is complicated and fact-specific. You may wish to consult with an experienced plaintiffs employment lawyer.

    You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

    I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

    *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,920 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,920 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering