My nursing license was suspended/revoked in 2009 . What kind of job can I do now with an ADN in nursing and 16 yrs of experience

Asked over 2 years ago - Jasper, AL

My license was revoked because I was falsely accused of stealing narcotics. I had two negative drug screens one hair and one urine but the lawyer representing me at the time did not submit this to the BON. I do not have the money to pay for another lawyer or to pay the costs needed to try to get my license reinstated because I havent been able to work since this happened. What can I do now with all of my knowledge and experience but no license?

1. Dave Bahr

2

Answered . I am sorry for your situation, but I don't think this is the best forum to establish your employment options. As a legal matter, you should be able to get a job in any situation that does not require a nursing license. As a practical matter, having that cloud hanging over your head without correction will likely scare away a lot of potential employers, in whatever field. You do not say why your lawyer did not submit the evidence to the BON (I note that simply testing negative in drug screens is not by itself, exculpatory evidence that you did not steal the drugs). If you believe that you may have some sort of claim against the attorney, you should consult with a legal malpractice lawyer. Additionally, a few state bar associations have programs to make clients whole when it is determined that a member attorney's actions caused them harm.

2. Michael F. Lawrence

2

Answered . The short answer is - any job that does not require a nursing license, but you already know that. You could try to get a job teaching nursing (think adult education providers). You could try to get a job in hospital or medical office administration. You could become a blogger and offer opinions and advice (no money there). Or you do any of the thousands of other jobs that are totally unrelated to nursing that you undoubtedly qualify for by virtue of you age education level, etc.
    What you are really asking on this website is who can I sue and why. In Kentucky the Statute of limitations against lawyers is three years so any claims there would be barred, check with an Alabama attorney regarding their rules.
    Another option is to check with legal aid to see if you qualify for assistance (you have not worked in 3 years), or your local bar association, for lawyer referral, to see if a local attorney is willing to help you for a reduced fee.
    You decide your future. If you want to fight to get your license back hire the best attorney you can find and pay him to get you your license back. Otherwise, get a job outside of nursing (this may require going back to school). You are smart (you became a nurse) and hard working (16 years experience) I am sure you can get a job earning similar money doing something else. Good Luck.