Skip to main content

My niece is coming from Costa Rica. She already has a job lined up as a nanny. What does she need to do to start work.

Richmond, VA |

My niece will be coming in a few weeks to work as a nanny. She has a job lined up to start in Novemember. She is a montesorri teacher and has a degree in clinical psychology. What steps does she have to take to work here in the US and obtain a social security number. How long does it take. Do you forsee any problems. She is 34 years old and is coming from Costa Rica.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I am sorry. But, I don't see a way for her to do this legally.

    Normally I would suggest that she participate in a J-1 nanny/au pair program. But, I believe that she is too old for most of the programs.

    If at all possible, try to convince her not to work for cash and off-the-books.

    It might be possible for her to get a visa to come and 'intern' at a Montessori school in the US. But, she couldn't be a nanny.


    PS For more information on her options/limitations, please consider a private consultation with an attorney. Most of us can do Face-to-Face 3-way Skype calls.

    PPS .... she could also explore the possibility of getting a higher degree in child/clinical psychology and working at a day-care center that is run by the University.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. Sounds like her work as a nanny will not be authorized. If she wants to be sponsored as a teacher, its a different story, but will not happen in a snap of the fingers. Meet with an experienced business immigration attorney.

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  3. If she has a visa which allows her to work as a nanny [and not a tourist visa], then she should be able to start work, and apply for a social security card upon her arrival. If she is coming to the U.S. on a tourist visa, and she tells the truth at her port of entry that she is coming to the U.S. to work, they will send her back to Costa Rica.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics