My niece is coming from Costa Rica. She already has a job lined up as a nanny. What does she need to do to start work.

Asked about 1 year ago - Richmond, VA

My niece will be coming in a few weeks to work as a nanny. She has a job lined up to start in Novemember. She is a montesorri teacher and has a degree in clinical psychology. What steps does she have to take to work here in the US and obtain a social security number. How long does it take. Do you forsee any problems. She is 34 years old and is coming from Costa Rica.

1. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . I am sorry. But, I don't see a way for her to do this legally.

Normally I would suggest that she participate in a J-1 nanny/au pair program. But, I believe that she is too old for most of the programs.

If at all possible, try to convince her not to work for cash and off-the-books.

It might be possible for her to get a visa to come and 'intern' at a Montessori school in the US. But, she couldn't be a nanny.

Sorry.

PS For more information on her options/limitations, please consider a private consultation with an attorney. Most of us can do Face-to-Face 3-way Skype calls.

PPS .... she could also explore the possibility of getting a higher degree in child/clinical psychology and working at a day-care center that is run by the University.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . Sounds like her work as a nanny will not be authorized. If she wants to be sponsored as a teacher, its a different story, but will not happen in a snap of the fingers. Meet with an experienced business immigration attorney.

3. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . If she has a visa which allows her to work as a nanny [and not a tourist visa], then she should be able to start work, and apply for a social security card upon her arrival. If she is coming to the U.S. on a tourist visa, and she tells the truth at her port of entry that she is coming to the U.S. to work, they will send her back to Costa Rica.