My newly married wife is from Shanghai, China on a student visa how do I legally change her name and the process.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Gabriel, CA

My wife is 30 years old on a I-20 as a student from Shanghai, China Im an American citizen Im 47

1. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

1

Answered . Based on her mariage to you she can file for adjustment of status. You can consult with an attorney to make sure that your filing is accomplished with the least amount of difficulty.

2. Anna Tsibel Moreas

3

Answered . She could have changed her name when you applied for the California marriage license and certificate. When she applies for the greencard, she can use the new name. Otherwise, she should change her name through the court, or wait until she can naturalize (get US citizenship), and change her name concurrently.

3. Francis John Cowhig

3

Answered . Your question is a little confusing as to exactly what you need. If you are planning to petition your wife for permanent residency, you will need to file an I-130 and I-485. Please be aware that although the age difference should not be a problem, it does raise red flags with USCIS. So you have to be sure that you have all of the necessary documentation to prove the validity of your marriage. She can change her name at the time that the petition is filed.

If you are asking about just changing your wife's name, she would need to file a petition with the court.

If you wish to discuss your options, our office provides free consultations. We are located in Alhambra, CA and you can reach us at (626) 308-9936

4. Kristina A. Gasson

4

Answered . You should file an adjustment of status application for your wife so that she can receive a conditional green card. An experienced attorney can help you fill out the paperwork and help you gather evidence that your marriage is in good faith. For a series of articles about adjustment of status, see the link below: