Skip to main content

My new I-94 says valid for duration of status DS. What does that mean?

Chicago, IL |

I lost my I-94 they replaced it with I-797 A . It says valid from 01/23/2011 till DS . What does that mean. My visa is F-1.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


It means you're ok to remain in the us to complete your education (so long as you don't violate the terms of the f visa, e.g. Work without permission).

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


It stands for "duration of status."

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr


Which means that you're allowed to remain in the U.S. as long as you are in compliance with the terms of your student visa.


So long as you remain a full time student in good academic standing, you will be in valid nonimmigrant status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


duration of status

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


Talk to your foreign student adviser.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


It means that you are permitted to remain in the U.S. so long as you do not violate the terms of your visa; in this case, your student visa. You would violate the status by not attending school set forth on your I-20, or by engaging in unsanctioned employment. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


it means duration of status. As long as you are in valid F-1 status and attending your school. Hope it helps.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer