My new I-94 says valid for duration of status DS. What does that mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I lost my I-94 they replaced it with I-797 A . It says valid from 01/23/2011 till DS . What does that mean. My visa is F-1.

1. Veronica Tunitsky

8

Answered . It means you're ok to remain in the us to complete your education (so long as you don't violate the terms of the f visa, e.g. Work without permission).

2. Mark Robert Barr

8

Answered . It stands for "duration of status."

3. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . So long as you remain a full time student in good academic standing, you will be in valid nonimmigrant status.

4. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . duration of status

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  5. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . It means that you are permitted to remain in the U.S. so long as you do not violate the terms of your visa; in this case, your student visa. You would violate the status by not attending school set forth on your I-20, or by engaging in unsanctioned employment. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

6. Inara Khashmati

Pro

2

Answered . it means duration of status. As long as you are in valid F-1 status and attending your school. Hope it helps.

7. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Talk to your foreign student adviser.