Skip to main content

My nephew owes 20 thousand plus in back child support. State of Texas. Who will get the monies when it is paid?

Fort Worth, TX |

His ex-wife is getting medical and food stamps for the child and has been for his entire life. Will the monies go to the state or to the mother of the child?

Attorney Answers 2


If the entire $20,000 is owed to the State because she received state assistance, then it all goes to the state. If a portion of the $20,000 is owed to the state, then some goes to mother and some goes to the state. If none is owed to the state, then the entire amount goes to the mother. It's my understanding the mother gets her portion first and the state last.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Most likely some of it will go to he mom & some will go to the state to repay part of what was spent on medical expenses and food stamps.

This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person asking a question and the person answering, or a duty to respond to ongoing questions; nor is it intended to replace competent legal assistance in the jurisdiction where the matter/issue arises or is before a Court.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics