Skip to main content

My nephew 17 year old got a summon for possession of marijuana he fail to appear in court is there a warrant for his arrest

Jamaica, NY |

Never been any trouble with the law before

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would expect so. His past record or lack thereof is irrelevant.



Will he be arrested when he appears in court

John M. Cromwell

John M. Cromwell


If he goes to vacate the warrant voluntarily, probably not.



The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Yes, a summons would issue when he didn't appear in court. He should go to the court, with an attorney, and straighten this out.


Unless the summons was dismissed on some technical ground, a warrant would be issued. Best to surrender himself as soon as possible as this is a minor charge and can be handled fairly easily. Why turn it into something potentially worse by not dealing with it?

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer