My neighbors pit bull repeatedly gets out of the fence where he lives ,

My neighbors pit bull repeatedly gets out of the fence where he lives , has attacked and bitten my horses , animal control was called and left the owner of the dog a citation . on the evening of 2 - 27 - 2013 another time the pit bull got out of the gate and attacked my chickens killing 2 and injured other chickens . animal control was called again 2 - 28 - 2013 as of tonight 3 - 4 - 2013 animal control has yet to respond to my call . the owner of the pit bull refuses to do anything . any advice

Sacramento, CA -

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

Animal Law Attorney - Wrentham, MA

Presumably you have records of the incidents; copies of the AC reports, vet bills, killed chickens, etc.
Total the damages and send the neighbor a demand letter, detailing the damages for all harm related to their dog's activities. It should be sent Cert. Mail/Return Receipt.

If - more likely, when - they fail to pay, file an action in Small Claims Court, using the above details for evidence.

The CA and your county bar association can provide referrals, if you need counsel.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Elizabeth Lorraine Elliott

Elizabeth Lorraine Elliott

Animal Law Attorney - Normandy Park, WA

Keep filing your reports. Also, do as my fellow attorney states. Add up your damages and send a letter demanding compensation (in a courteous tone.) If he does not pay, file suit in small claims. You may also want to seek the assistance of an attorney to write your demand letter.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.
Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Animal Law Attorney - Bolingbrook, IL

I agree with my colleagues and would also advise you to speak with an attorney regarding any other options you may have.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.