My neighbor's dog creates gap in wood fence and my dog goes to their yard and gets attacked, are they responsible for vet bill?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

My neighbor rents the home next to us. She has two dogs, one pit mix and another bigger dog mix. One of them punched two fence boards open and my small Pomeranian went to their yard. She was attacked by the pitbull mix and left my dog in critical conditions and a $550 vet bill. Who is responsible for the vet bill, me, the neighbor's landlord or the tenat/neighbor? I also found out that the pitbull mix that attacked my dog has not received a rabies shot.

Now, I was aware of the fence being old and I have mentioned to landlord to help split cost for new fence before but to no avail.

What can I do in this situation to recover vet cost and help get my fenced fixed?

1. Keith G Langer

Pro

1

Answered . You state, "I was aware of the fence being old" and " my dog goes to their yard," which is where your dog was attacked.

On these facts, you would almost certainly be liable for the vet bills, although the neighbors may be responsible for damage to the fence.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Elizabeth Lorraine Elliott

Answered . You are liable for the veterinary bills. I would document your request to your landlord to have your fence repaired. (put it in a letter)

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.