My neighbor's 30' bradford pear drops fruit on my cars. Can I take him to small claims court for nuisance tree removal?

Alexandria, VA |

He planted the tree on a slope [towards my property] so the tree leans towards my house and limbs bearing the pea sized fruit hang over my concrete driveway and white cars. The distance between the 2 houses is only about 30 feet . The tree is about 2 feet from the property line. I bought my house 10 years ago and believe the tree is about 15 years old or so. I've tried to talk to him about the situation as those fruit ruined the paint on my previous car. His only response delivered with a smirk... "Well... that's what nature does!" I then asked why is it he has no trees hanging over HIS cars to which he never responded. I've been trying to be neighborly but I'm done with that. There is no HOA as the homes were built in the late 50s. Help before I put a copper nail in the trunk!!

I believe you can cut any of the limbs that cross over the property line without his permission. If the Tree is planted in such away that cutting the limbs will not be sufficient then I would take him to small claims court. The rules are less formal and he cannot have an attorney represent him.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, please click "best answer" and/or "helpful." Avvo is a a very useful resource, but does not create an attorney-client relationship, and cannot replace an in-depth consultation with a lawyer.

2. Not sure why you haven't removed the offending limbs at that point where they enter the airspace over your property. May want to 1) consult with a property law attorney in Alexandria and 2) let the neighbor know your plans so as to avoid a police issue, 3) consult with a certified, bonded, insured arborist before removing the limbs, 4) hire insured, bonded, licensed experts to remove the limbs, 5) in consultation with the local property attorney, determine if any part of the costs incurred are recoverable from the neighbor, 6) consider small claims court for any past damages.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.