My neighbor killed my dog what can I do?

Denver, NC |
Filed under: Animal law

My female was pregnant due any time and the neighbors dog had come over in my yard. Which she has been doing for a long time. My dog broke her chain and ran her off back to her yard. Well the neighbors dog submitted to mine and my dog had pinned her and was sniffing her. She never bit her or broke the skin. The neighbors dog ran and hid and my dog couldn't find her so she was running around the house looking for the neighbors dog - found her and they were walking side by side and the neighbor stabbed my dog in the back of the neck! She is now dead along with all the pups. What can I do? I have two witnesses saying that my dog was never aggressive or showed her teeth! I am so upset! Some one please give me some advice!!! My dog was a pitbull. Thank you--D.

Your neighbor committed a crime. Report this to your Animal Control and they should arrest your neighbor. As owner of the dog, you are entitled to the value of your dog and the pups as restitution.

My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction where the legal issue may be filed or in the state where the law applies.

If your town and/or county have a leash law, that means that both you and your neighbor were breaking that law in allowing your dogs to leave your property. That may make a difference in whether or not the police and/or animal control will do anything. At the very least you need to file a report with both the police and animal control.

You can also file a civil suit against your neighbor. The North Carolina Bar Association can give you a referral to a local attorney: http://www.ncbar.org/

It depends on the laws in your specific jurisdiction. From your description, it sounds as though your neighbor committed a crime. I would be sure to report it to animal control. If you do not have animal control in your area, then report it to the police or the sheriff's department. These types of cases are complicated, they involve administrative laws, laws potentially regarding infractions, criminal laws, and a potential civil lawsuit filed by you. I believe that you will need to consult with an attorney familiar with these laws in your area.

Animal law topics