Skip to main content

My neighbor kids keep destroying my gates to break in, and vandalize my home. Sheriff says nobody will prosecute a minor. True?

Granbury, TX |

The kids break boards, tear off latches, drag the gates tearing up the sod, taunt my dog until she tears up the inside of my home. She now goes to dog care at 200 a month to avoid that. I got the gates fixed again two weeks ago. They again broke the boards to get in, tore up the sod and this time painted the bricks on the back of my house with chalk. Sheriff has been out several times. Now I just call and leave reports. Im told by the sheriff there is nothing I can do because they are minors so allowed to cost me 1000s in damages????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can sue the kids and probably their parents in civil court for trespass to property, trespass to chattels, and negligence. You should go see a real estate litigation attorney or personal injury attorney to discuss your options further. On the criminal side, call the local district attorney's office. They make the decision to prosecute cases, not the sheriff.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action.

Marion W. Cain

Marion W. Cain


Unusual response from the sheriff. I wonder if he is related to the minors.

Kevin Matthew Koel

Kevin Matthew Koel


I agree, if this indeed is continuing vandalism, the sheriff would eventually issue a citation. Otherwise, the sheriff is just allowing the situation to unnecessarily escalate.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer