My neighbor is verbally harassing us for several years now. We share an easement which they own but we have rights to egress

And ingress. How do you obtain an order of protection for verbal harassment in NY. They are the neighbors you never, ever want. What is the procedure for obtaining an order of protection? Cost? Do you have to go to court for such?

Westbury, NY -

Attorney Answers (3)

Paul Karl Siepmann

Paul Karl Siepmann

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Patchogue, NY

Your best bet is to consult in person with a local attorney. It can be very difficult to get an Order of Protection for "name calling." If you file Harassment charges and the neighbor fights them and wins, you could be subject to a malicious prosecution claim.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client... more
Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Go to criminal court to seek an order of protection.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

Call the police if you feel threatened and/or contact the Criminal Court if you wish to obtain an Order of Protection. Fees differ amongst attorneys. It is highly recommended that you retain one in the event you decide to take action.

Related Topics

Easements and land use law

An easement is a right to enter or use someone else's property for a specific reason. It remains in force even if the property is sold and is also transferable.

Featured Legal Guides

Raymond Richard Michalski

Know Your Boundaries

by attorney

Now that the residential real estate market is showing some signs of recovery, it's a good time to review some tips about buying and selling a home.... more

Criminal charges for harassment

Harassment describes a variety of repetitive behaviors that threaten, disturb, or upset someone. Harassment includes unwanted sexual advances and stalking.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.