Skip to main content

My neighbor is blocking our right of way to our driveway so that we cannot use it

Wolcott, NY |

Basically our property maps show that we have a right of way of 20 ft of their land to use as our driveway/ to access our driveway. They are blocking us access by putting trailers in the space. They insist it is their land and we cannot use it. We had police involved, and he clearly could see we are right, however he cannot enforce them to move their trailers. He showed them our maps. She does not have any property maps to her property. I spoke to a land surveyor this morning who stated that those right of ways are still in exhistance and she cannot block us. I was prepared to pay for an entire new survey and map to prove it to her we are right, but cannot pay the $900 it will cost. What should my next steps be so that we can use are right away again?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need a real estate attorney to confirm and advise you on how to enforce your rights, but if you cannot afford the $900 for a new survey, I wonder whether you will be able to find an attorney willing to take this case.

  2. Dear Property Owner:

    Easement litigation in New York State is complex and does not often end without a court decision or a ruling from an appellate court.

    The link below to a report of an appellate decision from a lawsuit involving a dispute over a right of way. Hiring an attorney early may save time and expense.

    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

  3. Hire an attorney. A letter from an attorney might solve your problem. If not, then they can go to court seeking injuctive relief.

    This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

  4. Retain an attorney and seek a temporary restraining order (TRO)and preliminary and permanent injunction preventing them from blocking the right of way.

    My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" 516 466-7900

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics