My neighbor has a confirmed sinkhole. Can my insurance company cancel my policy when the sinkhole is reported?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lady Lake, FL

My insurance company will not pay for testing or repair unless significant damage is discovered. No damage is apparent so I would have to pay out of pocket for the testing. Should I file a claim even though I'm fairly sure it will be denied?

1. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

2

Answered . Your insurance company likely isn't necessarily telling you the whole truth about sinkhole testing because they want to avoid the cost of testing. Contact our office for a free case consultation to discuss your rights as a homeowner with a potential sinkhole. The law change has made it more difficult in some ways to make claims but many insurance company's are interpreting the statute in a manner wholly inconsistent with the intent of the statute to preclude folks like you from receiving the benefit of testing.

2. David J. McCormick

2

Answered . You need to review your and see what it says about the sinkhole testing. Also ask your insurance company for a letter explaining why they will not pay for the testing. They usually do not like to put things in writing.

If there is a sinkhole next door you may need to start looking for a new place to live.