My neighbor fixes cars in his yard for other people, the noise and fumes are making me sick. are there any laws or ordinances

Buffalo, NY |

that prohibit this. He works at an auto repair shop and I guess he thinks he could repair cars in his yard for extra income. Is this legal?

It almost certainly is not. First, there are strict ordinances in all cities prohibiting this in other than designated commercial zones. Second, he is operating a repair shop without a license, and the state will prosecute him. He is an environmental hazard, for example dumping oil, intentionally or not, into the ground or storm drains. You my file a complaint with the city and with the state.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

2. It may not be. Speak with the police or Health Department.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Try the local building department as well as the police and board of health as another responder suggested.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.