My Name on Green Card does not match My Passport's(foreign) Name.

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Augustine, FL

Different transliteration in both documents. What type of document is issued by the Immigration Service to verify identity?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with my colleagues--for all reasons your legal identity documents should be uniform.

  2. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes, you need to change your name on your green card likely.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  3. Jakob Seth Lipman

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will most likely have to change your name. You will get a chance to do this on your citizenship application, or sooner if you are finding that the inconsistencies in spelling are causing you trouble. Try to obtain a notarized translation of your birth certificate as you would like your name to appear.

    Good luck!

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,963 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,963 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering