Skip to main content

My Name is SGT Martin Scott I have Served 17 1/2 Years on active duty only to be discharged on a 14-12c over a IPOD

Killeen, TX |

my email is I would like to sue the Goverment this affects my carrier and my life after 17 1/2 years

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sorry Sgt. a service member can't sue the government. or a gocvernment official (i.e. you commander)--they are immune from suit on several theories.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


hopefully you exercised all the rights you could have during the Army legal process and spent time with a JAG before you were processed out. If you are still in, see a JAG immediately to ensure you have done all you can to preserve your rights.


You cannot sue the military directly.
There are quite a lot of steps that are missing from the above on how they got to a separation. 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You may not be able to sue the government but there may be other remedies applicable. AR 635-200, Chapter 14-12c cover 'serious offenses.' At 17 and 1/2 you probably had an administrative separation board. Under 14-12c, the board members do not have to examine your rehabilitation potential. On the other hand, there may be protections for Soldiers who are very close to retirement - this would require further research. Assuming there have been major flaws in the separation board, or chapter 14 processing, you could seek to be restored to Active Duty.

This information is intended for public use only, it does not form an attorney-client relationship and it does not constitute legal advice. If you seek legal advice, contact an attorney.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer