My name and my ex husbands name are on the title of the house. His name is on the mortage. Do I still have ownership

Asked about 2 years ago - Lakeville, MN

I have my name on the title, not on the loan. I have a lien against the property. Do I still have rights in regards to the house?

1. Abraham Thomas Schwager

4

Answered . By the facts you have given, then yes, you do have an ownership interest in the house. I'm not sure what you mean by "I have a lien against the property." Also, my answer may change if you have a divorce decree that states that your husband owns the property.

Even if you have an ownership interest in the property, there is a question as to what you can actually do with it. Again, this may depend on a divorce decree or settlement agreement, the amount owed on the mortgage versus the value of the property, and other factors. To get a thorough answer, take all of your information and documents to an attorney for review.

2. Mark Alan Mackin

1

Answered . As attorney Schwager points out, the situation is complicated by marital issues and the "lien". See an attorney for a consultation on the matter so you know what you own and what you can do with it.

3. M. Todd Miller

1

Answered . Likely unless your judgment dissolving your marriage caused you to convey your ownership to your former spouse.