My name and my ex husbands name are on the title of the house. His name is on the mortage. Do I still have ownership

Lakeville, MN |

I have my name on the title, not on the loan. I have a lien against the property. Do I still have rights in regards to the house?

By the facts you have given, then yes, you do have an ownership interest in the house. I'm not sure what you mean by "I have a lien against the property." Also, my answer may change if you have a divorce decree that states that your husband owns the property.

Even if you have an ownership interest in the property, there is a question as to what you can actually do with it. Again, this may depend on a divorce decree or settlement agreement, the amount owed on the mortgage versus the value of the property, and other factors. To get a thorough answer, take all of your information and documents to an attorney for review.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This post is provided for informational purposes only; does not constitute legal advice; and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

As attorney Schwager points out, the situation is complicated by marital issues and the "lien". See an attorney for a consultation on the matter so you know what you own and what you can do with it.

DISCLAIMER: The forgoing comment is for general educational purposes only, and is not legal advice upon which the reader may rely as the commenter has no actual knowledge of the facts of the case, has not interviewed persons or examined evidence, and has not researched the applicable law. The comment is based only on the facts provided, which are extremely limited, and may or may not be true. Complete defenses may prevent the success of any claim. Competent legal advice should always be obtained before taking any legal action or filing suit. Readers employ any information provided herein at their own risk.

Likely unless your judgment dissolving your marriage caused you to convey your ownership to your former spouse.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Recommended articles about Real estate