My mum made a mistake on my age during her filing. Can anything be done to correct the situation, if yes, how can you help?

Tinley Park, IL |

My mum made a mistake on my age during her filing (US immigration and citizenship), instead of 1980, she wrote 1987. For this reason, she has not proceeded to file for me because we don't want to take any step that will affect her negatively. Can anything be done to correct the situation, if yes, how can you help?

Thank you.

Sure, she can file for a replacement green card or naturalization certificate.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

You may have an age-out problem. You'll need to show all the immigration paperwork you have to an immigration attorney.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.

Just so that I'm not assuming, does an age-out mean that my age is above the required filing age? If so what is the maximum and what can I do in my case.

Justin G. Randolph

Justin G. Randolph

In some instances if you turn 21 it impacts your case. You need to bring your paperwork to an attorney for review.

Justin G. Randolph

Justin G. Randolph

Or fax it at least.

You can go ahead and file paperwork, but be prepared yo explain the discrepancy and provide proof of birth (birth certificate). Perhaps you should retain an immigration attorney to assist you. Good Luck!

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.

First - is your mother a lawful permanent resident (has a green card) or a United States Citizen? Depending upon the answer to that question she can then apply for a new document on the basis that she needs to correct the error. She will have to pay the fee to have the new document generated unless she can establish that USCIS made the error in the birth year. Best of luck.

FREE CONSULTATION ON IMMIGRATION AND DEPORTATION MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley 208 S. LaSalle St. Suite 1400 Chicago, Illinois 60604 773-501-2039 kiki@kikislaw.com The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question. kiki@kikislaw.com

Hi Kiki. My mother is a United States citizen (naturalisation). I would also like to ask if my age(32) isn't above the required age and my I call you for further discussion. Thank you.

KiKi Maria Mosley

KiKi Maria Mosley

Hello. You are welcome to call for further discussion.

I agree with my colleagues.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.