My motorcycle was parked in my assigned parking spot and when I returned home from work it was stolen.

Asked 4 months ago - North Miami Beach, FL

There is a security guard on duty till 3 or 4 am. They also have cameras positioned at all entrances of the physical building but not entering the parking lot. I rent at this condominium. Is there anything I can do to recoup my loss in reference to the security or the association.

1. George Costas Andriotis

12

Answered . I'm certain your Lease protects everybody except you in this situation but you should file a complaint with the local authorities and call your insurance company ASAP.

2. Mark Theodore Tischhauser

Pro

5

Answered . Generally, NO. Property owners are not responsible for the criminal acts of third parties. While its possible you might make a claim against the security company, you would have to prove some level of negligence on thier part and unfortunately, the cost of a motorcycle, unless it was a high end custom would likely limit the attorney's fees you could justify spending to address the issue. Hopefully you had insurance on the bike.

3. Zaheer A Shah

Pro

6

Answered . Your rental agreement no doubt contains waivers of liability for the condominium complex. In addition, by your own recitation of the facts, there is a period during the night without a security guard and no video of the parking lot. You need to contact your vehicle insurance company and the police.

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

Answered . That is why you are supposed to carry insurance on your motorcycle against theft.

5. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

1

Answered . Probably not. Unless you can prove that the security was negligently completed (not just ineffective in this situation) and a cause of the theft, you will lose. I have never seen a negligent security case brought for only property damage, but it is possible. Usually there has been a rape, crippling attack or death. The cost of bringing your case will exceed $20,000 easily. So, unless your bike is very valuable, just make a claim under your insurance policy.

Pro

1

Answered . You should turn it over to your insurance company, as that is why you have insurance.