Skip to main content

My motorcycle was parked and car hit it and ran. I have a suspended license and no motorcycle permit. Can I do anything?

Santa Monica, CA |

I live in California,. I have a suspended license (that I just found out about) and no motorcycle permit. When I was in a store a woman backed into my motorcycle and took off. Someone witnessed it and took photos so I know what the car looks like and have the license plate number so I believe I can track her down. I am fully insured, but did not file a police report since I was going to the airport and could not miss my flight. When I do try and track her down will they arrest me, or declare it not valid because of not having a license? Again, I was not driving, the bike was parked.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Property damage can be claimed. See a CA lawyer that can give you advise about the direct and collateral consequences of you not having a permit.

That is a different issue than the fact that your property was damaged by the negligence of another.

Good luck.


You say you are “fully insured,” so I would recommend you immediately report the incident to your insurance company. If you have comprehensive insurance coverage, your carrier should pay for the necessary repairs to your vehicle. You should provide your insurance company with the necessary information, including the photos and the witness information so they can attempt to track down the at fault driver and see if they have auto insurance that will cover this loss, and most likely result in a refund of your deductible from your insurance company. The key for coverage is a valid and effective policy of insurance on your motorcycle; however, you should no longer drive on a suspended license and should work towards getting a motorcycle permit before operating your bike again. As for getting the motorcycle repaired, again, if you had a valid policy of insurance, and you have comprehensive coverage for the bike, this will be covered and paid for by your insurance, regardless of whether or not you have a motorcycle license.


Yes. But most law suits are about character assassination. Are you willing to deal with the problems that may arise? It is unlikely there will be any serious risk for you. It will however, likely be unpleasant. If you can show what you say you are entitled to damages.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer