My mothers boyfriend molested me for years, i took him to court and lost. What can i do, i am now 24 yrs old

State College, PA |

This happened from the time i was a very small child so i cannot put an exact age that it started to occur but it went on until i was 13 when i took him to court and i didnt even know what was going on, then the case was thrown out and i was placed back in the same home as him, i want to know if i could sue the court house for wrongfully accusing me?

It is unclear when you write that you lost. If the boyfriend was charged with a crime and was found not guilty then he cannot be tried again for the same offense. However,if it was in a civil court, charges may still be an option. You should speak with an attorney who understands the criminal court system and the statute of limitations for brings such charges. Good luck.

The court has absolute immunity from suit, so judges cannot be sued. I understand that was part of your question

As already pointed out there is uncertainty about the history here from your post. I agree that speaking privately with an attorney experienced with the criminal system would be a good next step, if for no other reason than understanding what, if anything, can be done at this point. The last part of your statement is particularly confusing. What do you mean by "wrongfully accusing me"? I agree that suing the "courthouse" is not an option nor is suing a judge, beyond that I can't go. Talk with local counsel; most here will extend to you the courtesy of a free consultation. Apart from anything the courts can do for you, I highly recommend that you seek professional counselling if you are not already doing so. I'm certain there are rape counselling services available in State College. Good luck to you.

Your question is a bit unclear. If "thrown out" means your mother's boyfriend was prosecuted criminally for molesting you, and was found not guilty, there is nothing you can do to have him reprosecuted for those offenses. If additional molestation occurred after you were placed back in the same home as him, you should speak to the police. If they find your story to be credible, and the statute of limitations hasn't run, the DA may choose to file charges. You may also consider speaking to a lawyer who handles personal injury cases of this type. There are several attorneys in the State College and Harrisburg areas experienced in these types of cases. You should remember, however, that if you sue someone civilly for monetary damages, any judgment you get will be worth only the paper its written on unless the person has assets you can go after or some type of insurance coverage. I wish you the best of luck.

Like everybody said, if he was prosecuted and not guilty, that case is over. If you have good evidence against him, and you havent sued him in civil court, you MAY be able to. However, talk to an attorney, these cases are fact driven, you need good evidence, plus, you might have a statute of limitations problem. Plus is he worth suing? Does he have property or money to seize if you win? If he is a deadbeat most attorney wont take the case as there is not money to be obtained for you or for their fee. I don't think you can sue the government for the not guilty verdict.