Skip to main content

My mother was misdiagnosed and put on hospice - taken off all medications and given morphine and other deadly drugs, no food, et

Sacramento, CA |

My mother was misdiagnosed with aspirating by a speech therapist at the hospital . She was given the option of a feeding tube surgically put in or hospice and comfort care and opted for the latter . Once she was in the care home , they determined she was not aspirating . But they wouldn't take her off " comfort care " - which to them meant not giving her her regular medications for her heart , blood pressure , named's , warfare - which in itself is likely to cause death , further , they immediately started giving her morphine ( although she was not in pain ) , and two other deadly prescriptions and withholding food and water . They refused to acknowledge my Power of Attorney and per my brother's prior Power of Atty , refused to discuss anything with me . She died Sun . . Do I have a case ?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Medical malpractice cases often depend on specific factual details. Find a medical malpractice attorney on Avvo and take him/her the medical records if you have them. They can assess whether there was a standard of care violation. Good Luck and hope you heal from this.

    * Please note that I am an Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to provide some helpful insight into your particular situation, but it should not be taken as legal advice. If you would like to discuss your Georgia Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, or Criminal case, I am happy to discuss your specific situation with you at no cost to you. I can be reached at 404-996-5157 or If you found this Answer "Helpful" or " The Best Answer", please click the tab indicating that. Thank you!

  2. I would most definitely contact a medical malpractice attorney and see if you have a case.

  3. Consult with a medical malpractice attorney.

  4. You may but her medical records will need to be reviewed.

    I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  5. Best bet is to call a med mal lawyer in your state who answered above to discuss in detail.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics