Skip to main content

My mother was awarded custody of my daughter, i never rec'd the final journal entry from the courts.

Tescott, KS |

i need to know how to get these papers. i need to know how to go about regaining custody of my daughter. i am getting my life together. i own my own home in another state

Attorney Answers 1


Either physically go to the clerks office at the court house where your case was heard and request a copy of the court file or check online to see if you can access your file online. How you proceed from there depends on exactly what happened during the previous court appearances. If your mother was granted CUSTODY you will have to file a petition to modify that custody order and, more likely than not, show that a substantial change in circumstance has occurred to warrant uprooting your daughter from the new custodial situation.

If, on the other hand, your mother was granted temporary guardianship of your daughter, that is a different case entirely and an easier process to terminate the guardianship.

First step, is to contact the Clerk of the Circuit court to obtain copies of your file. Once you know what has been entered up to this point, you will be better equipped to move forward.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. Nor does this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics