My mother took a medical leave of absense from work. She is a full time salaried manager.

Asked over 3 years ago - Daytona Beach, FL

She had to have a breast reduction done because of constant pain it was causing her in her back and shoulders. She was told she would be still be paid while she was on leave. She had the surgury done and was paid only for the first three weeks while she was out, when they told her they would pay her as long as she needed. She had a complication and the doctors are telling her a skin graph was needed to complete the healing. Right after that doctor visit (this is now 6 weeks after the surgury and 3 weeks after her work last paid her) she went to the bank and noticed she was $400 overdrawn in her account and her job had stopped paying her without informing her. They told her that her surgury was cosmetic and they would refuse to pay her anymore, even with doctor's notes. Is that legal?

1. Barry F Gartenberg

Answered . As a general rule, an employee is not entitled to paid medical leave or to have a job "held open" while out of work for medical reasons. There are some exceptions. If the employer had 50 or more employees, she may be entitled to unpaid leave under the FMLA. There may be an applicable state law that provides for paid or unpaid leave as well. Also, if an employer "promises" to pay, then there may be a contractual right to receive paid leave. Further, the employer may be engaging in illegal discrimination if it is treating her differently because of gender related issues, e.g., men who get injured playing softball with the boss get paid leave, but women do not get paid leave for gender specific conditions.

Kindly note and remember that my response is merely a general comment on the law related to your question, and NOT legal advice or opinion. Also, your question and my response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between us. You cannot rely upon what I have written, because I do not have all of the information that I need to advise you or render an opinion. Even simple facts you have not shared can completely change my answer. For me to give you legal advice or opinion, you would need to hire me to be your lawyer, and then we would need to discuss this in detail and go over the documents.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations governing tax practice, you are hereby advised that written advice contained herein (if any) was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.