My mother told me before she past away, that she left me a sum of cash. How am i supposed to find it ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

I have tried treasure hunt online, and public records, and insurance companies. I have failed in each attempt; also i do know my mother did have a law settlement settled before she past away.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Jeramie J. Fortenberry

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That's always a tricky question. You could do an asset search, but it wouldn't turn up bank accounts. A look at prior tax returns can also be helpful (if they are available). Sometimes interest reported on the tax return will help identify an account. The best way to find out is to open the estate, then send letters of administration to the various institutions that she may have had accounts with, asking them to return an itemized listing of the accounts. The risk, though, is that she didn't have anything, in which case you will have gone through the probate process for nothing. It's a fishing expedition. You need to decide whether it's worth the risk.

    Don't take anything written here as legal advice.I am happy to offer my thoughts free of charge, and I would... more
  2. Dana Laganella Gerling


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would suggest you try to find her Will, as they may be a devise for you under the Will. Wills become part of the public record once they are filed, so you should check the County clerk where you mother died to see if a Will has been filed. You also may be able to find out the details of any lawsuit from the clerk of Courts and contact the Attorney who represented her.

  3. Adam Troy Rauman

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As the other attorneys have stated, looking for bank or financial account statements or reviewing tax returns is a good place to start. If your mother had a Will, the Will may list accounts or locations to look for valuables (the money in my safety deposit box at xyz bank). You can contact a local attorney as many have resources that are able to uncover hidden assets.

    Answer does not constitute legal advice. Please call (727) 471-0039 or contact me at arauman@protectyourfuture.... more
  4. Israel Sands

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A private investigator may be able to find assets. They charge about $500, and the ability to find accounts falls off quickly after the person dies: sometimes it it compromised within 60 days.

    This is off-the-cuff advice and does not establish a client-lawyer privilege. Nothing I say here can be used to... more
  5. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleagues have provided you with sound advice. In a situation such as this, there are a lot of details missing. Was a probate petition filed? Was there a will? do you have access to your mother's records? These and many more questions need to be explored.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client... more

Related Topics


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more


Probate is the legal process for proving a will valid or invalid, appointing an executor, and distributing estate assets according to the will or state law.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,896 answers this week

3,666 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,896 answers this week

3,666 attorneys answering