My mother told me before she past away, that she left me a sum of cash. How am i supposed to find it ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

I have tried treasure hunt online, and public records, and insurance companies. I have failed in each attempt; also i do know my mother did have a law settlement settled before she past away.

1. Jeramie J. Fortenberry

6

Answered . That's always a tricky question. You could do an asset search, but it wouldn't turn up bank accounts. A look at prior tax returns can also be helpful (if they are available). Sometimes interest reported on the tax return will help identify an account. The best way to find out is to open the estate, then send letters of administration to the various institutions that she may have had accounts with, asking them to return an itemized listing of the accounts. The risk, though, is that she didn't have anything, in which case you will have gone through the probate process for nothing. It's a fishing expedition. You need to decide whether it's worth the risk.

2. Dana Laganella Gerling

Pro

4

Answered . I would suggest you try to find her Will, as they may be a devise for you under the Will. Wills become part of the public record once they are filed, so you should check the County clerk where you mother died to see if a Will has been filed. You also may be able to find out the details of any lawsuit from the clerk of Courts and contact the Attorney who represented her.

3. Adam Troy Rauman

Pro

2

Answered . As the other attorneys have stated, looking for bank or financial account statements or reviewing tax returns is a good place to start. If your mother had a Will, the Will may list accounts or locations to look for valuables (the money in my safety deposit box at xyz bank). You can contact a local attorney as many have resources that are able to uncover hidden assets.

4. Israel Sands

2

Answered . A private investigator may be able to find assets. They charge about $500, and the ability to find accounts falls off quickly after the person dies: sometimes it it compromised within 60 days.

5. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

2

Answered . My colleagues have provided you with sound advice. In a situation such as this, there are a lot of details missing. Was a probate petition filed? Was there a will? do you have access to your mother's records? These and many more questions need to be explored.