My mother received a 12k settlement her attorney is holding the funds. medicare says she owes $800 cant he distribute funds -800

Asked about 1 year ago - Long Island City, NY

*Her settlement amount was for 12k
*Medicare says she owes $800 for doctors visits that are totally unrelated with this lawsuit or injuries.
*She asked her attorney to release the funds in escrow minus the 800 or whatever amount he though would be enough to hold till this dispute with medicare was over.
*He told her he could not release the funds she either had to pay the medicare bill in full or wait till they respond.

1. Joseph Nicholas Armao

7

Answered . He should be able to distribute the funds, minus the amount medicare claims is the lien, and then work out a settlement of that amount as well. This is what usually happens.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

Answered . Perhaps there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication. As a general rule, settlement proceeds less (potential) liens may be disbursed. Your question suggests that the MSPRC number was conditional. Good luck.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . Most lawyers will escrow an amount that will be more than sufficient to pay the lien and distribute the balance. The lawyer can send Medicare a letter explaining why the treatment is unrelated and Medicare usually drops the claim pretty quickly. Perhaps the lawyer is worried about additional charges popping up.

Pro

2

Answered . Sounds like the lawyer is trying to negotiate down the lien, which would be beneficial to you.