My mother passed away suddenly from a massive heart attack,in carlsbad,n mex was flowen to lubbuok texas where she passed away

Artesia, NM |
Filed under: Estate planning

she had no will.Is my father responsibe for her medical bill and other bills tihat were in her name my father is on social security,and is ill himself.

I am a Florida attorney-the answer in Florida would be NO-not unless he obligated himself by signing a contract.
Social Security payments are exempt form creditors in most states.
Hope you get NM attorney's answer.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

L. Maxwell Taylor

L. Maxwell Taylor

NM is a community property state, and in such states the operative concept is often that the medical bills of one spouse are debts of the community. Asker's father should consult local counsel on this issue.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Thanks-I agree on NM counsel

New Mexico is a community property state, which means this could be community debt. You should make arrangements to consult with a probate lawyer in the Carlsbad, Artesia, Roswell area. NM also has certain exemptions that may be relevant, but an attorney would have to review the details of your case, which will require a consultation that cannot be done through this forum.

Wills and estates topics