My mother passed away in 2009 in Maine. There is no essentially no estate left. Am I liable for her remaining debt?

Mililani, HI |

We had one joint savings account left with less than $2000. Because of her private nursing care for 2 years at home prior to entering a nursing home last year, there was no estate left. There were however some remaining medical expenses and credit card debt. These would be very difficult for me to pay as a single parent. Am I responsible and should I try to negotiate a settlement payment?

No, you cannot inherit her debt. The debt is owed by your mother and you are not responsible for paying it with your own funds. Any funds left by your mother should be used to pay funeral expenses and any remaining money to medical expenses for her last illness. It sounds like there won't be anything left to pay anything else. Any remaining debts, such as credit cards, are not your responsibility and you should not try to negotiate any sort of settlement that involves contributing your personal funds. You are in no way personally liable for your mother's debts.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates