My mother passed away and there were three names on the deed, one of the names have now been removed.

Miami, FL |

when checking with the property taxes it has my mother's name but has to the est.of my name what does that mean?

1. I am sorry for the loss of your mother. The property appraiser's office is aware of your mother's passing, probably through social security records. That is why their website is showing that her share is owned by her estate.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

2. The reference to "est. of" indicates that the property appraiser is aware of your mother's death. You should consult with an experienced real estate or probate attorney to review the Deed. Many times a Deed does not include proper survivorship language resulting in the need for the probate of an estate. The opinion will be easy to obtain once the lawyer reviews the Deed.

Answers to questions on this site are not intended to be specific legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. Hiring an attorney is a very important process which requires a high degree of diligence as well as entering into an agreement regarding the services to be provided and the fees to be charged.

3. "Estate of" The property appraiser's office is aware of your mother's estate.

4. I could give you better details if I could see the property tax record and the deed that you refer to.

Dennis Phillips is an attorney and financial planner based in South Florida. He is a member of the Florida bar, he holds the nation-wide Series 65 Investment Advisor license, and holds an insurance license in Florida and Virginia. Disclaimer: The response above is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, would significantly alter the above response.

5. I agree with the other responses but to fully understand your options and any difficulties you may encounter (e.g., if you were to sell the house), you should consult with an attorney.

Douglas R. Coenson, Esq.
    coensonlaw@juno.com
    (561) 315-2120
    Jupiter, FL

6. It means that your mothers estate will have to be probated before it can be transferred
    to the new rightful owners.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.