My Mother passed away and she receiving an income is spending it illegal ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

Even if I paying the bills with it

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . The income belongs to the Estate. Is there an Executor?

2. Stuart Warren Moskowitz

3

Answered . You should consult with an attorney. Whoever has the authority to act on behalf of your mother's estate is qualified to disperse the funds earned by the estate.

3. Evan A Nielsen

2

Answered . The individual, or individuals who are authorized to act for your mother's estate should handle the finances. And any instructions that govern the estate (like a will or trust) should also be consulted before any expenditures are made to make sure that what occurs is consistent with her wishes. If you're the one that's authorized to act for the estate and paying bills isn't inconsistent with any applicable documents or statutes then you can proceed. If you're not sure, it might make sense to consult an estate/probate attorney to make sure before you do anything further.