My mother just passed away on 6-4-12, what do I need to do to find out if I get any inheritance?

I have some concerns that abuse played a major part in the circumstance. Please help so I am not left on the shallowness of having everything taken from me.

Orlando, FL -

Attorney Answers (3)

Brantley Daw Oakey

Brantley Daw Oakey

Probate Attorney - Naples, FL

The short answer is you need to figure out whether or not your mother had assets and whether or not you were mentioned in her will. This will tell you whether or not you should inherit. To go about getting whatever inheritance is due to you, you need to hire a probate attorney. Good luck

This does not constitute legal advice, and there is no attorney/client relationship established.
Hollyn June Foster

Hollyn June Foster

Probate Attorney - Jacksonville, FL

It is hard to determine what exactly you are asking and there are not enough facts to adequately answer but I will try to help. First, since it appears that perhaps whoever was assisting your mother is not communicating with you I would suggest you file a caveat with the clerk of court in the county that your mother resided in at the time of her death. This will require that if an estate is opened they have to notify you and give you the opportunity to appear. Depending upon what assets your mother had at the time of her death and whether or not she had a will can determine what you might be entitled to. If there is a Will and due to abuse or duress the abuser was named the sole beneficiary you would have to contest the Will. A civil matter may be in order if assets (such as life insurance, bank accounts, the house) were titled in another's name, held jointly or the abuser was listed as the beneficiary prior to your mother's death. Unfortunately there are just not enough facts to answer more specifically as to your options except to emphasis that you should file the caveat.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. The answer is... more
Brittany Green Gloersen

Brittany Green Gloersen

Probate Attorney - Deland, FL

I agree with the other answers. If you decide to hire an attorney, I suggest Aubrey Drucker he is located in Winter Park.

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Featured Legal Guides


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Featured Legal Guides

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

by attorney

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.