My mother just passed away on 6-4-12, what do I need to do to find out if I get any inheritance?

Orlando, FL |

I have some concerns that abuse played a major part in the circumstance. Please help so I am not left on the shallowness of having everything taken from me.

It is hard to determine what exactly you are asking and there are not enough facts to adequately answer but I will try to help. First, since it appears that perhaps whoever was assisting your mother is not communicating with you I would suggest you file a caveat with the clerk of court in the county that your mother resided in at the time of her death. This will require that if an estate is opened they have to notify you and give you the opportunity to appear. Depending upon what assets your mother had at the time of her death and whether or not she had a will can determine what you might be entitled to. If there is a Will and due to abuse or duress the abuser was named the sole beneficiary you would have to contest the Will. A civil matter may be in order if assets (such as life insurance, bank accounts, the house) were titled in another's name, held jointly or the abuser was listed as the beneficiary prior to your mother's death. Unfortunately there are just not enough facts to answer more specifically as to your options except to emphasis that you should file the caveat.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. The answer is for information purposes only and is based on the limited information you provided. If you would like to discuss your Florida legal matter further please call my office at (904)353-0033 x 14.

Jeff Tomberg

Jeff Tomberg

attorney foster is correct that we do not have enough facts to provide any better advice. you should speak to a lawyer and provide him or her the facts.

The short answer is you need to figure out whether or not your mother had assets and whether or not you were mentioned in her will. This will tell you whether or not you should inherit. To go about getting whatever inheritance is due to you, you need to hire a probate attorney. Good luck

This does not constitute legal advice, and there is no attorney/client relationship established.

Brittany Green Gloersen

Brittany Green Gloersen

The custodian of the will is required to file it with the Clerk of Court where the decedent resided. You may want to check with the Clerk's Office to see if a will has been deposited.

I agree with the other answers. If you decide to hire an attorney, I suggest Aubrey Drucker he is located in Winter Park.