Skip to main content

My mother just died and only had a $2,000 life policy with no will. I will become the personal rep because there is just my

Greenfield, IN |

brother and I and he is mentally challenged. When funeral home contacted insurance co. re payment to them for expenses they were told neither of us was listed as a beneficiary. How do I find out who is?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In addition to asking the insurance company about the beneficiary, you may also ask the funeral home to inquire for you as it seems the insurance company responded to them before.

Also ask to make sure that a beneficiary was named. Sometimes people fail to name a beneficiary.


You might try calling the insurance company and asking who is named as the beneficiary, or send them a formal letter with a copy of the death certificate. They may, or may not, tell you, but there is no harm in trying.

Good Luck.


Once you have been named by the court as the personal representative, you can write a demand letter to the insurance company to obtain the information as to who is the beneficiary. From there you will then have more information to take the next step. Also request them to see if she had any other policies. You also need to check her papers and records, check register, tax returns to see if she had other assets or insurance polices. Retain an estates lawyer to assist you if possible.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency. ;
website ;

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer