My mother just died. My step father is living in their house. Do I ave a claim through probate even though there was no will?

There's no will, my dad has a step child, and my mom died this month. Can I secure my rights to the property for when he dies so I have a claim and it all doesn't go to my step sister and leaves me with nothing? If so , how long do I have to act?

San Diego, CA -

Michael Austin Hackard

Michael Austin Hackard

Wrongful Death Attorney - Mather, CA

You need to see a local attorney who practices in estate and trust law. Much of this might depend on how title was held for the real and personal property of your mother.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Does "their house" mean it was titled jointly?
Your answer totally depends on how the assets are titled-
So-you need to have attorney review the situation.

Rosemary Jane Meagher-Leonard

Rosemary Jane Meagher-Leonard

Probate Attorney - San Diego, CA

I am sorry for your loss. I am assuming that your stepsister was not by your father. Is that correct? Since your mother died without a will, you would be entitled to your intestate share of the estate. Under Probate Code Sec. 6401, where a decedent dies with a spouse and with one child, that child is entitled to one half of the decedent’s separate property. The surviving spouse would be entitled to the other half of the separate property plus the decedent’s share of the community property.

Attorneys Pippen and Hachard are correct. How title to the property was held, and whether the property is separate or community, are important factors in determining your rights here. You are wise to want to take care of this now rather than wait until your stepfather passes away. Depending on the property status and your entitlement to an intestate share of the home, it’s possible that you may need to file a Probate Petition, if your stepfather. is unwilling to formalize an agreement.

I am located in San Diego would be happy to discuss this with you.

Amanda Marie Cook

Amanda Marie Cook

Probate Attorney - San Diego, CA

As the other attorneys have noted, the answer to your question will likely depend in part on the title to the assets. A probate may be necessary at this point for your mothers separate property and share of community property.