My mother is just now asking for money. Against my notarized divorce papers.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Harvest, AL

div. papers were notarized, in it I owed my father money, He forgave me the debt while he was still alive; my mother knew this. when my father passed, she tore up his little black book which had in their, who owed him how much. She NEVER asked for the money until I got married. Been separated and div. for a total of 7 years. Been married for 1 and a half years. Father been dead for 3 years. She starting asking for money when we had been married only 8 months . She goes behind my back and my husband want nothing to do with her. This is in MO. She already spent the money my dad left for her!!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lois R Beasley-Carlisle


    Contributor Level 10
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It sounds like she is coming after you for money owed in an agreement that has been finalized with a judgment for divorce. If she sues you in small claims or another court you would be well advised to hire an attorney to represent you. If she has opened an estate you will have to hire an attorney to deal with the estate if the estate is pursuing this claim against you. You might have to pay interest on this money as well if you can't prove the debt was extinguished, (i.e. you have no receipts). The only way though for an attorney to properly advise you is make an appointment and go see them and show them your paperwork.

    There are many factors that can affect how best to handle this matter and the best advise is to hire an attorney... more
  2. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Please clean up your question, I am not quite sure that I or the other attorneys who participate in this forum exactly understand what you are asking.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,294 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,294 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering