My mother is just now asking for money. Against my notarized divorce papers.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Harvest, AL

div. papers were notarized, in it I owed my father money, He forgave me the debt while he was still alive; my mother knew this. when my father passed, she tore up his little black book which had in their, who owed him how much. She NEVER asked for the money until I got married. Been separated and div. for a total of 7 years. Been married for 1 and a half years. Father been dead for 3 years. She starting asking for money when we had been married only 8 months . She goes behind my back and my husband want nothing to do with her. This is in MO. She already spent the money my dad left for her!!

1. Lois R Beasley-Carlisle

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds like she is coming after you for money owed in an agreement that has been finalized with a judgment for divorce. If she sues you in small claims or another court you would be well advised to hire an attorney to represent you. If she has opened an estate you will have to hire an attorney to deal with the estate if the estate is pursuing this claim against you. You might have to pay interest on this money as well if you can't prove the debt was extinguished, (i.e. you have no receipts). The only way though for an attorney to properly advise you is make an appointment and go see them and show them your paperwork.

2. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

Answered . Please clean up your question, I am not quite sure that I or the other attorneys who participate in this forum exactly understand what you are asking.