My mother is just now asking for money. Against my notarized divorce papers.

Harvest, AL |

div. papers were notarized, in it I owed my father money, He forgave me the debt while he was still alive; my mother knew this. when my father passed, she tore up his little black book which had in their, who owed him how much. She NEVER asked for the money until I got married. Been separated and div. for a total of 7 years. Been married for 1 and a half years. Father been dead for 3 years. She starting asking for money when we had been married only 8 months . She goes behind my back and my husband want nothing to do with her. This is in MO. She already spent the money my dad left for her!!

It sounds like she is coming after you for money owed in an agreement that has been finalized with a judgment for divorce. If she sues you in small claims or another court you would be well advised to hire an attorney to represent you. If she has opened an estate you will have to hire an attorney to deal with the estate if the estate is pursuing this claim against you. You might have to pay interest on this money as well if you can't prove the debt was extinguished, (i.e. you have no receipts). The only way though for an attorney to properly advise you is make an appointment and go see them and show them your paperwork.

There are many factors that can affect how best to handle this matter and the best advise is to hire an attorney immediately. Unfortunately the advice above is a guess that is based on very scanty facts. Circumstances of all sorts can change the ultimate answer you need. If you want to know how best to handle the situation, make an appointment with an attorney and get good solid advise based on more exact facts. The money spent might give you the peace of mind you need.

2. Please clean up your question, I am not quite sure that I or the other attorneys who participate in this forum exactly understand what you are asking.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX