My mother is has been incarcerated for 8yrs she was caught with 16 kilos of crystal meth she still needs 7yrs is there away to

Asked over 1 year ago - Mission, TX

Redduce senecing

1. 1

Answered . There is not enough information given to answer this question. Most importantly, was this a state or federal case?

2. 1

1

Answered . If you have not filed a collateral 2255 appeal, try that.

3. 1

Answered . Maybe. You should speak with an attorney that is experienced in handling post-conviction petitions. It's unclear from this post which ones may be helpful to your mother.

4. 1

Answered . From your comment below, it appears that this was a federal case. In that instance, there are not many options at this stage for getting her sentenced reduced. Let me go through a few:

- In general, your mother probably cannot challenge her sentence by filing what's called a "2255" petition unless there are some new facts or circumstances that explain why she waited so long to file it.

- If the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines changed in her favor, then there could be an opportunity to ask a judge to reduce her sentence, but it depends a great deal on the facts of her case.

- If she has provided assistance to a government investigation since she has been in jail, she might be eligible for what's called a Rule 35 motion.

- Finally, there may also be options within the BOP system to change her designation or allow her to move facilities; but, again, that depends a great deal on her circumstances and would not actually reduce the sentence issued in her final judgment of conviction.

Given the complexities of all four, and their very limited availability, you would need to talk with an experienced federal criminal lawyer about your mother's case, and then he or she could advise you what options might be available.