My mother is a US Citizen and I'm not. If she petitions for alien relative (I-130 form), will my legal status change quickly?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

My mother is a US Citizen, and I'm an international undergraduate student (24 years old, unmarried). If she petitions for alien relative using the I-130 form, will my legal status change any time soon (in less than 1.5 years) or does it only changes after a few years when I get my green card? Can a scholarship sponsor find out about it (while I'm in the waiting process) through my I-20 when I apply to grad school? Thank you!

1. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

4

Answered . USC mom can apply for you. To adjust status down the line, you will continue to maintain lawful status. Keep in mind though that your F-1 may not be extended considering the I-130 filing and the immigrant intent.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Petition for you with an I-130? Yes
    Will your legal status change any time soon, less than 1.5 years? Sorry ... it is 7 to 14 years, depending on your nationality.

Scholarship Sponsor 'finding out' .. not if you don't tell them.

3. Bradley Lawrence Whitney Thomson

Pro

2

Answered . If you marry a U.S. citizen, you are eligible to adjust status immediately...also, if there is comprehensive immigration reform, you may have an option open up sooner than 1.5 years.