My mother is going to a nursing home. Can she qualify for medicaid?

Laurel, MS |

Her savings are in her name and her three daughters. It has been this way for many years.

1. You cannot transfer assets for someone and then attempt to have MS Medicaid pay for that person's nursing home care. There is a certain amount of time you must wait, I believe 2 or 3 years before you can apply for Medicaid after the asset transfer, whether it is a bank account or land. Medicaid could sue to have the transfer voided and applied to any amount Medicaid had expended for the recipient. I would consult an estate planning attorney to see what your options are and how to best proceed with handling your mother's assets now and going forward.

2. Please sit down with a local elder law attorney to discuss eligibility.

3. You need to speak to an elder law attorney who can review everything.

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

4. This can be a complicated area of federal law. If your mother has any assets, such as a house etc. I suggest you pay for a consultation with an Elder care attorney before you attempt to enroll your mother in Medicaid.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

5. I am not an elder law attorney, and I recommend you contact one to confirm what I say. It is my understanding that who "owns" the money that is in the account depends on the language of the banking account contract. To borrow terms from property law, it could be they are joint tenants. The money in the saving account could be equally divided by her and the 3 daughters, or all could be common funds. As you probably already know, to qualify for Medicaid, your mother has to have very little assets.

Look up an Elder Law attorney and you will need to give them some additional information, for example, how much money is in the savings, does she own a house, does she plan to return to the home, is she married, etc..

After February 2006, there is a 5 year "look back period" for assets that have been transferred our of her name for less than full value.

I know this does not answer your question, but this is a complicated area of law and you are going to need to get an elder law attorney to advise you. I know putting your mother in a nursing home is a hard decision, and if you need a referral to a good elder law attorney, give me a call. Best Wishes.

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160 www.pepperodom.com

6. I recommend that you seek the advice of an elder law attorney. You can find a qualified one on AVVO.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Wills and estates topics