Skip to main content

My Mother in law brought my husband into the u.s illegal when he was 6 year's old . He has never gone out of the us.

Richardson, TX |

He graduated high school but when he was 21 got a felony witch got dismissed. Now my question is do we need a lawyer or could I do everything on my own l?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. With a felony criminal conviction history, even if later dismissed (or rather expunged) it is imperative for husband to work with a highly experienced immigration lawyer for what ever it is that he wants to file for now, whether DACA or other..

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Any incurred significant criminal history record by any undocumented alien will require a very good immigration attorney to review any legal options.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  3. Since he will need an I-601A hardship waiver, it would be best to hire an attorney.

    Please see

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Under the circumstances you describe, your husband will need a waiver (I-601) to overcome his inadmissibility since he entered the U.S. without documentation or inspection. This may be further complicated by the criminal issue you note. You should clearly consult an immigration attorney to assist you in this matter.

  5. I would like to say you can do it on your own, but the truth is your probably will have a very hard time.. At least consult with an attorney as to what needs to be done.

    New York Immigration lawyer. This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics