My mother has a checking account listed as "Jane Doe" Trustee for "Son Doe".

Asked 8 months ago - Franklin, NC

I had to do a POA over her affairs as she is barely able to write anymore. While I do have signature rights on the account, I only use it for her bills etc. With pending issues regarding medicaid and such are the assets of that account to be considered part of her assets or is it funds being held for the "Son Doe"?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the account is a uniform trust for minors account the money is the son's not the trustee's (Jane/Mom). There is however an issue with who is trustee for Son Doe.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  2. Michael Leo Potter

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It makes sense to work with an Estate Planning attorney in that jurisdiction. Use the 'Find-A-Lawyer' search engine above at the top of this page. Good Luck on this one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,097 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,097 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering