My mother died of cancer in 2006. She was HEAVILY misdiagnosed, and malpractice. Is the statute of limitations over???

Asked over 1 year ago - Studio City, CA

My mother was heavily malpractices for years over numerous reasons that any doctor would order he to see specialists , and or get MRI or CAT SCAN . It wasn't until she insisted on a CAT SCAN due to her friend , who was a doctor that warned her that her doctor had been misdiagnosing her for years for numerous reasons , that they found a tumor . The cat scan tech also said she should have been recommended to do this a long time prior . At her funeral , her doctor friend came and talked to me about how " horribly she was malpractices , and that I lost my mother because of it . " I am unsure of the list of specifics , however I do know that during her terminal era it was no secret amongst anyone that she had been massively malpractices . Her DR begged her not to sue , she didn't , but switched DR . Can I sue ?

1. Sean Michael Patrick

7

Answered . Yes. A medical malpractice action for injury or death must be brought within one year from the date the claimant discovered the negligent act, but no more than three years from the date of injury.

Pro

8

Answered . The SOL appears to have run.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Larry Alan Apfelbaum

5

Answered . Let me start by telling you that I am not licensed in CA and do not know CA law. I seearched the internet and found this on a lawyers web site:

A medical malpractice action for injury or death must be brought within one year from the date the claimant discovered the negligent act, but no more than three years from the date of injury. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code ยง 340.5 (West 1992). For retained foreign body cases, the statute is tolled until the claimant discovers or should have discovered the injury. Ashworth v. Memorial Hosp. of Long Beach, 206 Cal. App. 3d 1046, 254 Cal. Rptr. 104 (1988), rehearing denied, March 23, 1989 http://www.mcandl.com/california.html

It looks like the s/o/l might be over but you should contact a local malpractice attorney just to be sure.

Sorry for your loss.

4. Andrew Daniel Myers

5

Answered . Statutes of limitation are established by state law in each state and you have already received advice from good attorneys knowledgeable regarding your state's. Here is an article on why such laws exist, their effect and the policy behind the statute of limitations: [Blue Link Below:]

5. Marcos Antonio Gonzalez-Balboa

2

Answered . 4yrs basic time can be extended for another 2 yrs from the the time she knew or should have known and can be extended to a total of 7 yrs with fraud or concealment on the part of medical personnel