My mother became a citizen in 1992 while i was 12 years old , my parent had divorce in 1991 and she had custody of me .

Mebane, NC |

Can i claim citizenship through my mother? i have my birth certificate and my parent divorce decree and her citizenship paperwork. will this be enough for INS?

Were you in the U.S. at that time, as a permanent resident? If so, you qualify, and you can just file for a US passport.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Lisa R. Brenman

Lisa R. Brenman

A key issue here is the immigration status you had when you entered the United States. You may want to consult with an immigration attorney to review the facts of your situation to fully understand your options.

I contacted the postal office to apply for a passport , but was told that i need to have proof of citizenship of my own not of my mother ....which i know its not true since it goes hand and hand

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Call me. Also do an n-600. Stephen Berman Attorney at Law Immigration Attorneys, LLP 8989 N. Port Washington Rd., Ste 201 Milwaukee, WI 53217 Tel. 414.939.8099 Fax 414.939.8098 Sent from my wireless device This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.

I came to this country at 4 years old a as a LPR in about 1984 the issue that i have is that the only copy that my mother has of her divorce doesnt state that she was given legal custody..... she has tax record that were she claims me and she is the only parent listed on my school records. my mother think there was a revised copy of the decree that does state that she has legal custody but there is no finding it and considering the divorce was in the dominican rep... that an issue getting a copy. please keep in mind that she became divorced my father in 1991 became a citizen in 1992 and i was about 12 and she never complteleted the paperwork to make me citizen and in 2000 when that updated child citizen law that made it automatic started i was over 18.....

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

You might need an n400 if there is no custody order. Check the court file. Stephen Berman Attorney at Law Immigration Attorneys, LLP 8989 N. Port Washington Rd., Ste 201 Milwaukee, WI 53217 Tel. 414.939.8099 Fax 414.939.8098 Sent from my wireless device This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.

Contacted my darling grandmother in Dominican Rep the keeper of all things, she has a copy of my parents marriage certificate before i was born in 5/81, but some how this marriage was annulled ( but she has no record for annullment) but she has the an original divorce decree stating that my parents married in 1984 and divorced in 1991 and that my mother has custody of me.... ( weird stuff but thats what the gatekeeper has) any ideas

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

You can get a passport. Go to the passport office instead of the post office. They need originals of everything from birth, divorce, citizenship etc. Stephen Berman Attorney at Law Immigration Attorneys, LLP 8989 N. Port Washington Rd., Ste 201 Milwaukee, WI 53217 Tel. 414.939.8099 Fax 414.939.8098 Sent from my wireless device This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.

I concur with my colleague, if you were a permanent resident and in United States at the time your mother became a United States citizen you should be able file for citizenship based on your mother's naturalization
.
Contact us at:

919.225. 3963
immigration@rbrownllc.com
www.brownimmigrationnc.com

what confused me is that i read that she had to of had legal and physical custody of me , and with the documents that she has on hand it doesnt state she has legal custody.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce