Skip to main content

My mother became a citizen in 1992 while i was 12 years old , my parent had divorce in 1991 and she had custody of me .

Mebane, NC |

Can i claim citizenship through my mother? i have my birth certificate and my parent divorce decree and her citizenship paperwork. will this be enough for INS?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Were you in the U.S. at that time, as a permanent resident? If so, you qualify, and you can just file for a US passport.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. I concur with my colleague, if you were a permanent resident and in United States at the time your mother became a United States citizen you should be able file for citizenship based on your mother's naturalization
    Contact us at:

    919.225. 3963

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics