My mom went to rehabilitation for her mental health and chemical addiction. She was quickly released and is worse then before.

Asked about 2 years ago - South Saint Paul, MN

After quitting her job and spending ridiculous amounts of her 401k my mother seemed to have lost it. Eventually her heavy drinking landed her in detox and with the help of her mother she was given a court date to decide what should be done. She was ordered 28 days in a rehabilitation center for her chemical addiction (alcohol) and mental health. After the 28 days she was released and is now worse then before. Still spending money, about a third of her 401k, alienating all of her friends and talking to herself constantly I'm getting desperate. I'm 17 with almost no money saved. I want to know if I can get her the treatment and be able to afford it. The question then being how can I force her into treatment and can I sue that last center in order to pay for her a center that WILL help her.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . I am truly sorry for the situation you find yourself in; being the child of an individual unable to tear themselves away from substance abuse is a terrible existence.

    Although I am not licensed in Minnesota, it is probable that from a legal perspective, there is little you can do, your mom is on a path that will take a lot to divert her from, in a time frame that might be measured in years. My best advice is for you to take care of yourself, do you have a plan? Where will you go if your mother continues to deteriorate and how can you protect yourself from her problem? Seeing a local attorney with experience in these issues is probably the place to start. If you are unable to afford an attorney, there are some excellent clinics available through the Law Schools in your area.

    On a more personal level, you should visit Al-anon and Al-ateen, these organizations can help you deal with the issues you face by letting you talk to people who are in similar circumstances.

    I am licensed in New Mexco and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,931 answers this week

3,899 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,931 answers this week

3,899 attorneys answering