Skip to main content

My mom was caugh crossing the border now she is in a detention facility she was under immigration proceedings.

Laredo, TX |

My mother lived in the us for about 13 years she came in with a visa and used to go back and forth to her country but the last time he stayed in the us for more than 2 years then went to live in her country. When I was 21 I applied as an sponsor for her but told she needed to wait about 8 years for a permit from the consulate due to the fact that she was in the country over 2 years with her visa expired her reason to go back to her country was because my dad took my brother she has then been a victim of abuse and did not want to stay over there and wait her time and came crossing the bridge now will she get deported or the judge might leave her here and offer her a bond and have her stay a few months?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It appears that your mother has crossed the border illegally or attempted to do that only once. A lot is going to depend on what will be the outcome of her encounter with ICE. If they allow her to withdraw her application for admission and leave, which is highly unlikely, she would be able to continue waiting the rest of the 8 years left. Otherwise, she would have to wait ten years before she could seek immigrant visa. There is no waiver for parents. Only for children. If that was not the first time she tired to cross the border illegally, she is lifetime barred from admission and would not be able to come at all.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Yes this is the first time she crossed the border she also had a clean record while living in the us i was looking online and I read that sometimes they will give u a bond to pay and make her stay only a couple of months and then she will still leave the country but my sure if she will be able to do this I'm trying to reach an attorney in the laredo area but since its the weekend no one is available and in the meantime I need some time of information thank you for answering quick


Your mother definitely needs a lawyer. Is your dad a US Citizen or Permanent Resident? An experienced immigration attorney will be able to go over all of the details of the situation with your mother, and determine what, if anything, could be done.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.



No my dad is not a permanent resident he lives in ecuador he took my brother without telling my mom and asking her decision and then she went to live over there to be with her son and since she was a victim of my dad never liked over there and did not want to wait the immigration time in order to eenter the us she decided to come by the border not letting us know anything and now she is in a detention center

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin


Best to consult with an immigration attorney near you.


Your mother need to find a local immigration lawyer dealing with deportation. From jurisdiction to jurisdiction, the courts have different ways of dealing with those who are in deportation proceeding. As long as she is not under mandatory detention, it is all up to the ICE officer or the court to decide whether she gets a bond and can wait at home for her court date. But, make sure that your mother does not agree to sign anything before she sees a lawyer.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney-client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Maria Tu, 2800 West Parker Road #110, Plano, Texas 75025 972-964-8366

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer