My mom was a victim of an online dating scam. It was one of those nigerian dating scams and lost 23k. Can she recoup anything?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

She met some guy online. Charmed her into lending money and giving bank account and credit card info. Total loss amounts to around 23k. Anything she can do to recoup losses, sue etc?

1. Michelle A. Fioravanti

Pro

3

Answered . Yes - she can go to the police to report the crime and file a civil suit. But honestly, I'm not sure whether it is even worth it because the chances of actually receiving the money are probably slim to none.

Michelle A. Fioravanti, Esq.
    www.fioravantilaw.com
    484-876-1543
    Like me on Facebook: Law Offices of Michelle A. Fioravanti, P.C.

2. Robert V Cornish Jr.

3

Answered . In addition to the good advice already provided, you may consider filing a report with federal authorities. You may also wish to file a complaint with the PA Attorney General's office, https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/complaintformsc.... In addition to including the "charmer," I would also include the banking institution that was carrying the "charmer's" account in assisting in the fraud in any complaint you file.

3. Robert C. Keller

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is suggested that she meet with an attorney to review the history and determine if any responsible party can be located and whether there are any assets to attach.